- Area: 1.066 square miles
- Population: 18,962
North Central Population Density: 17,794 people per square mile San Mateo Population Density: 8,473 people per square mileLearn more about our neighborhood statistics (City-Data.com)
City & County Resources
- City of San Mateo (en Español)
- Downtown San Mateo
- Community Development – Planning Department Updates
- Browse and register for City of San Mateo Parks & Recreation Classes
- San Mateo Public Library (55 W 3rd Ave): iPhone App
- San Mateo County
- San Mateo History Museum
- San Mateo County Event Center
Sign up for email notices from the City of San Mateo
Littering & Dumping
Take the Pledge to Love North Central & join us for a Neighborhood Clean Up Day!
(650) 595-3900 Recology
Schedule free curbside pick ups for bulk items twice a year
(650) 522-7300 Public Works
Report illegal dumping on public property online or clogged storm drain. Request shopping cart retrieval.
(650) 522-7150 Code Enforcement
Report dumping on private property.
(888) 886-0766 Report Graffiti
or download the mySanMateo App (iPhone or Android)
FREE toxic drop off at SMC Health (32 Tower Rd) dump your old paint and cleaners, aerosol spray cans, chemicals. Schedule online: www.smchealth.org/hhw
Free Mattress Drop-Off @ San Carlos Transfer Station located in the San Carlos Environmental Center, 333 Shoreway Road, San Carlos
Monday – Friday: 6:00 am – 6:00 pm, Saturday – Sunday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
HIP housing is a readily available resource for low-cost housing in San Mateo and helps provide a home for over 1,000 people every year through he property it owns and manages, it’s Home Sharing, Self-Sufficiency, and reverse Mortgage Consumer Counseling programs.
Minor Home Repair Program offers home repairs to improve health and safety, housing accessibility modifications, and energy efficiency retrofit measures to income qualified individuals.
- Caltrain System Map and Schedules
- 511.org — public transit trip planner
- Or get walking, driving, biking, or public transit directions from Google maps
- City Bike Share Program
- Pedestrian & Bike-friendly Trip Planner
- Featured Bike Routes
- Police non-emergency line: (650) 522-7700
- North Central Lieutenant Ryan Monaghan (Area 2): firstname.lastname@example.org, (650) 522-7683
- Sign up for Nixel to receive alerts from City of San Mateo Police
- Register for SMC ALERT, an alert notification system used to immediately contact you during urgent or emergency situations.
- Sign up for a FREE Get Ready Disaster Preparedness Class
Your involvement in Neighborhood Watch will directly affect the crime rate of your North Central neighborhood. On average, Neighborhood Watch Blocks are 84% safer than non-Neighborhood Watch Blocks (Department of Justice, 2012). Find out why! Neighborhood Watch Presentation