Come meet your neighbors and enjoy some light refreshments (también hablamos español) – all are welcome to join our HANCSM General Meeting!
When and Where
Thursday, September 26, 2019
6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center
725 Monte Diablo Avenue
- Welcome & Intro – Binh Thai, Vice President of HANCSM
- Police Report – Lieutenant Ryan Monaghan
- North Central will be welcoming Lt. Ryan Monaghan, our new Patrol Lieutenant, to our September General meeting! He will provide our community with an update on police activity and programs in our region. San Mateo’s dedicated Police Department plays a key role in supporting the wellbeing of our neighborhood and making North Central a safe and dynamic place to live.
- Guest Presentation: Sustainable Streets Phase 1 – Mario Ung, Senior Engineer Public Works
- Last century, the design of our streets became focused on automobile use. This had wide-ranging impacts on the health, safety, and welfare of our cities’s residents. Today, engineers, planners, architects, and informed citizens have come together to consider the needs and safety of all travelers – people of all ages and abilities who are walking, driving, bicycling, using transit, or other mobility aids. Studies have shown that the safety of our streets for pedestrians and people on bicycles is linked to how our roads and built environment are designed. San Mateo’s Sustainable Streets Plan provides a vision of how our streets should look in the future. The City is working to create a place where we incorporate the needs of all people, manage stormwater, clean the air, and encourage people to connect and live sustainably. It considers the economic impact of streets and their ability to attract both residents and businesses in the coming decades. Mario Ung will provide an update on the very first phase of implementing our City’s Sustainable Streets Plan.
- Halftime – Meet a neighbor!
- Development Updates in North Central – Dianne Whitaker, Former Planning Commissioner
- Learn about recent and upcoming construction projects in and around North Central and Downtown San Mateo.
- General Plan Update – Amourence Lee, General Plan Subcommittee Member
- San Mateo is updating its General Plan. This document establishes City polices on land use, transportation options, parks, open space, environmental protection, community health, and well-being. As part of the update process, the City has been analyzing our local land use planning and regional growth and has developed a new vision statement for San Mateo. Most recently, the City chose to divide up some of its incorporated land into 11 distinct areas of study for potential change in the coming decades. Large portions of North Central have been included in study areas 4, 5 and 6. Read the letter from the HANCSM Board and community members on the division of our city into these study areas. We will take this opportunity at our General Meeting to discuss the process so far, talk about community needs in the coming decades, and review what is coming next for the General Plan Update.