The San Mateo Adult School and City of San Mateo are partnering to offer a unique opportunity to participate in the English as a Second Language (ESL) City Government Academy. The Academy is designed to expand participants’ awareness of local government, City services, and increase civic engagement, leadership, and volunteering.
Participants will have an opportunity to:
- Learn how the San Mateo City government works.
- Know about services and programs offered by the City and how to access these.
- Understand how to participate and get involved in issues that affect the community.
- Meet members of the City staff and City Council.
- Participants feel empowered and comfortable to access City services.
- Participants feel prepared to engage further with the City.
Hours and Location
The program is held Thursday mornings between 9am-12pm at different City facilities.
Program days cover the following topics:
- Parks and Recreation
- Public Works
- Community Development
- Employment and Volunteering
- City Manager / Finance / City Council / City Clerk / City Attorney
- Geographic Information System Mapping
Currently, this program is open only to those who are enrolled as ESL students at the San Mateo Adult School. Any member of the community can enroll in classes for free at the Adult School (learn more about how to register for classes).
The space, currently limited to 25 participants, will be awarded to those who submit the application, commit to attending the full program, and to completing assignments related to this program. When there are more applicants than spaces, preference will be given to City of San Mateo residents.
For more information about this unique program, contact Stephanie Kriebel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-532-9678.