Measure P will be on the November ballot, From what I understand, it is a $130 million bond issue that will fund
1)reconstruction of Bowditch Middle School ($80 million),
2)repair or reconstruction of Knolls Elementary for a new school ($11 million),
3) $39 million for all following :
– basic repairs such as leaky roofs bad plumbing and insufficient electrical
– solar panels and other energy efficiency upgrades
– upgrades to or new libraries and science labs at all schools
– computers/tablets or other tech for schools ( the number I’ve read is $7 million)
This seems vague, but the measure itself doesn’t make it clear
here’s the bond measure text https://www.shapethefuture.org/elections……
In general I very much support school funding, but I am concerned by the vehement opposition by one school board Trustee as well as the Measure L treasurer. They express real concern that this was put forward by a group from Foster City and will disproportionately benefit Foster City, that plans are extremely vague for Knolls (the measure says “repair or reconstruct”) , that Measure L projects have not and will not be completed, that there are better and cheaper ways to undertake solar upgrades, and that the technology part of this is too small to really do the job well and equitably.
I am hoping to attend the discussion at San Mateo City hall on Thursday 9/26 at 5pm to see what I can find out.
I would also like to hear what other people know and think about Measure P. Please comment!