Yesterday, Tuesday, 07/07/09, about 12:45 PM, the female14 year old San Mateo resident victim reported that a suspicious person followed her. She was walking alone north bound on North Humboldt Street near the intersection of Monte Diablo Street, when she noticed the suspect driving very slowly behind her. The Spanish speaking suspect tried to engage in conversation. The victim told the suspect to, “go away”. The suspect stopped his vehicle, got out of the car, made a comment with sexual overtones, and tried to walk toward the victim. The victim ran to the safety of her residence. The suspect fled the area driving his vehicle.
The victim reported the incident to a relative who reported it to the police almost two hours later. The victim provided a good description of the suspect and his vehicle. San Mateo police officers flooded the neighborhood for the suspect or his vehicle with no results.
Today, 07/08/09 officers continued their search. About 7:53 AM, SMPD Officer S. Heinsma alertly located an occupied vehicle that matched the suspect and his vehicle description, and made an enforcement stop. The suspect was positively identified as the person who followed the victim. Subsequently the driver was arrested and booked into San Mateo County Jail on the noted charges.
SMPD wants to remind everyone to always:
* Walk in well lighted areas
* Whenever possible, walk with a group, not alone
* Always stay away from remote areas and vacant buildings, alleys, and “short cuts”
* If possible, have a cell phone with you and have the phone programmed for the police department emergency number. For SMPD the number is 522-7700.
* Be aware of your surroundings and try to identify places you can go for help
* Please report any area that is a gathering spot for people drinking alcohol, acting disruptive or that is littered with graffiti.